Sunday, November 20, 2011

The End

It’s been an odd couple of weeks. At the time of writing this I’m sitting at the day job, eating cereal and deciding that I don’t like raspberries. I’m eating breakfast, and it’s a healthy breakfast, I eat a lot of bad food but I’m trying to turn over a new leaf or in my case a whole tree.

The reason it’s been an odd couple of weeks is because I got my last set of edits for the ‘A Difficult Decision’ eshort series I’ve been working on for Echelon Press. Considering I’m still new to the whole publishing game, this has been a great little project to cut my teeth on.

Now the title of the post is ‘The End’, nope I’m not giving up on writing. I’ve got too many voices in my head that I’d go insane if I didn’t write their stories. The End is in reference to the last instalment and title of #6. I’ve been a published writer for about a year now, but I was an unpublished writer for a lot longer and I’ll tell you something, (whispers) I’ve never written an ending.

I don’t think I had much to worry about, until I started to write this instalment. Overall I had a short word count for each instalment, which meant I didn’t really have much wriggle room when writing the ending. Also I just wasn’t sure how I wanted to end up. Rachel is a genetic wolf, a person born with the ability to become an Alpha, as long as she’s bitten by another wolf. She’d gone through this quest to find her missing brother and this boy who has been helping her, is slowly changing from pain in the arse to something else. I won’t go into much detail since I don’t want to give away too many spoilers.

My question is; how do you write an ending? Do you have a set idea in your head about how your books or series are going to end?

2 comments:

Lisa Gail Green said...

It varies. But yes, I try to know where I am going. I like using the Beat Sheet from SAVE THE CAT because it asks what the final image is you want to leave your readers with. I think this is a really important question.

J.A. Campbell said...

I usually have an idea, but it always changes by the time I get to the actual end. I'm not quite sure how I come up with the endings honestly, they just happen. For me the middle is the hardest part.

Julie