Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taming The Muse

Jumping into this writing thing was a bit overwhelming to me a few years ago. I'd somehow managed to get my first complete manuscript published, and had a huge learning curve to overcome. Edits were brutal and had me in tears. (I've gotten MUCH better at that) Promo was a mystery to me. And after all the chaos was over and I had a book out, relief was short lived, because everyone wanted to know "what's next?"

Focus has always been an issue for me. I get distracted easily and my brain wanders. Part of that is just that there's so much I want to do, I can't settle on one thing. That has probably been the hardest thing for me to deal with in my writing life. There are deadlines, and contracts, and you have to keep writing so that you don't get lost in the shuffle.

But my Muse, well, she's temperamental. She doesn't always want to write what needs to be written. And new ideas get in the way of finishing old ones. I have learned that I sometimes have to appease her by switching projects frequently in order to keep the words flowing. Even so, it can be difficult to focus when there's always a new idea on the back burner.

And she likes to give me great ideas when I'm trying to sleep. Don't know what that's about, but I now keep a notebook to jot things down so I don't forget them later. I suppose I should be grateful the ideas keep coming, but some sleep would sure be nice!

So my Muse and I have learned to strike a shaky truce. Mostly. As long as I promise to be grateful for the ideas (even at 3am) she gives me and never let her get bored, she seems happy to help me keep on this writing path. But I have learned that you never really know what's around the next turn, even with the best plans. But that's ok. It's part of what keeps her interested and me on my toes. (and perpetually sleep deprived)

Stay inspired and Happy Writing!

1 comment:

TraceyLPacelli said...

Muses certainly do expect a lot out of us! Sometimes it's exhausting to keep up.

Great post!...:) Tracey