Monday, April 9, 2012

It's all about Goals




Last week was spring break for the kids in our area. So it meant a week without my day job for me, a time to focus on my writing, evicting the dust bunnies (I served notice mid-winter break), and start converting an unused bedroom into an office.

For my focus on writing I composed a reading list of books I've wanted to enjoy but haven't had time to, picked out a book to read on plotting, and of course set word count goals.
When Thursday came, I knew I was in trouble. I'd reached none of the mid-point in my goals for the week. Time to reassess….

Goals are dreams with deadlines. ~Diana Scharf Hunt

And my deadlines were looming four days away….

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. ~Les Brown

This is true but sometimes you need to hit the moon…. For example, edits need to be returned on time. The thing about setting goals is to find the 'ideal'. Ones that are achievable yet stretches you.

So looking back, I can say my goal list was a bit beyond realistic BUT also I suffered from an extreme case of shiny object disease.

Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire. ~Arnold H. Glasow

This is so true in my case. While I probably couldn't achieve all the things on my to-do list, I could have crossed more off. One of the main things I was reminded about this last week – I don't do well with 'free – floating' deadlines. I had all week to accomplish the things on my list without any interference from the day job. So I relaxed – to the point of almost slipping into a coma. The result of this? I lost a week I needed! Now I have to squeeze those things around my day job schedule.

I need to break my goals downs to 'micro' goals. For example, for Monday, I have a 1k word count goal before leaving for my day job. This will mean no playing Bubble Atlantis on facebook which I love to do. I also have goals sprinkled throughout my day.

So how do you set goals? How do you keep them?

No comments: